The interview of Sevda Altunoluk

 

THE INTERVIEW OF SEVDA ALTUNOLUK

 
Sevda shoot the ball

When people talk about the best female goalball player of the world, they almost always speak about Sevda Altunoluk from Turkey. Sevda is on her own level when it comes to strength and scoring. Statistics prove that: in Tokyo Paralympics Sevda was the top scorer with 46 goals, when the second in the scorer list had 25 goals. 46 goals in seven games means the average of6-7 goals per match. Quite impressive!

 

In this season, as a key player of Turkey’s national team, Sevda was winning the Paralympic gold and European Championships silver. Recently Sevda was nominated in the BBC 100 Women 2021 which is a list of impressive and inspiring female activists, leaders and changemakers. But how does this queen of goalball consider her role within goalball herself? How does she see her role in Turkey’s team? How did she start playing goalball and what does she enjoy the most in the game? Read Sevda’s interview below.

 

When did you start playing goalball and why? How did you find this sport?

 

I started playing in 2006. I didn't want to do this sport in the first place. As I watched it later, I found it very interesting and started playing with love. While I was in primary school, I went to Ankara for the treatment of vision problems. I started another school there and my sports teacher Osman Karalı wanted me to start this sport. So I started sports and worked with desire.

 

What is the best thing in goalball in your opinion? Why do you like it so much?

 

I think the best thing in goalball is team spirit, integrity and hard work. Because I have a competitive personality. So I play with ambition and power. I love it because I can show these qualities in this sport.

 

What is the most challenging thing in goalball in your opinion?

 

The most challenging thing is ability of the athlete to maintain her/his strength and endurance throughout the match.

 

You are considered as the best female player in the world? How have you gained this position? What have you done to reach this?

 

Yes, and I'm working harder to keep it going. I worked in a systematic and planned way individually and with the team. I trained at a very high level with my club coach.

 

How do you train? How often? What kinds of trainings?

 

I personally work at home five days a week. That's three days of goalball training and two days of fitness training. I am a professional athlete.

 

Why do you think you are the best female player in the world? What are your strenghts?

 

I think that I'm the person who gives the biggest support to my team by scoring the most goals in all tournaments. Besides, I have numerous achievements and most importantly, I have two Paralympic championships. I think I'm the best female player for that. I am strong in offense and I analyze well. I can maintain the stamina at the beginning of the match until the end. These are my strengths.

 

What do you still want to develop in your playing?

 

I want to develop my weaknesses and technical skills.

 

What is your next goal in goalball?

 

My goal is to get the Paralympic quota at the World Championships and win the Paralympic championship for the third time.

 

Anything else you want to say?

 

I will always do my best. Thank you so much.

 

Comments